There were nights last winter where we’d run inside with rain soaked hair and toss bundles of logs into the fireplace. I’d scatter candles around the house and sometimes leave a window cracked so you could hear the rain. He’d tend to the fire and I’d curl up on the couch with thick, knit socks and listen to blues or folk music. On those nights it felt like we were in the woods somewhere and not sitting in our little beach town. The house smelled like campfire and apple cider and peaches.
Perfect for cool autumn and winter nights. We always use my homemade apple cider when we make our hot toddies.
- 2 oz whiskey (or bourbon)
- 5 oz apple cider – warmed / hot
- 1 oz honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 orange slice or lemon slice or apple slice (for garnish)
- 1 cinnamon stick (for garnish)
- 2-3 cloves (for garnish)
- In a sauce pot, add apple cider, cinnamon, and cloves. Boil.
- Remove from heat once this has come to a boil. Set aside and let the spices meld with the apple cider.
- After 15 minutes, strain the spices from your apple cider.
- Add honey and stir until the honey has dissolved in the warm apple cider.
- Add whiskey and lemon juice. Stir.
- Serve with cinnamon sticks, sliced lemon or orange, and apple slices as garnish.
Grilled Peaches Over Vanilla Ice Cream
This a warm dessert that is best enjoyed on cold nights by the fire!
- 4 peaches or nectarines (pitted and halved)
- 2-4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- sea salt and honey to taste
- 4-8 scoops vanilla ice cream
You can either brown your peaches / nectarines on the stove, or throw them on the grill. We like doing them on the grill or on a griddle in the kitchen.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium / high heat
- Combine your peaches / nectarines and melted butter.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Grill for 2 minutes per side (or until char marks form)
- Serve with vanilla ice cream while peaches / nectarines are still warm.