These potato stacks are a great side dish for roasted chicken or with mild white fish like sea bass. They are very similar to scalloped potatoes and only require a few ingredients. We highly recommend serving these alongside our rosemary olive oil garlic bread.
There are two ways to prepare these. You can either use a casserole dish to make one big batch or you can make individual potato stacks (which is always great if you are cooking for a lot of people and you want everyone to have an individual serving to themselves. These potatoes are cheesy, creamy, and savory. They’re pretty rich so I usually like to serve them alongside some greens.
Garlic, Thyme, Parmesan Potato Stacks
Cook time: 25-30 minutes (if using cupcake / muffin tins) or 30-40 minutes (if using a larger casserole dish), Prep time: 20 minutes.
Recipe makes 12 individual potato stacks (6 larger servings)
- 6 medium – large russet potatoes (about 2.5 pounds) sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1.5 cups of heavy cream / heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (leaves stripped from stem)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- freshly grated parmesan to top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes. Lay the potatoes on their side and cut the potatoes into thin cylindrical pieces (about 1/8 inch thick). You can use a mandoline slicer if you have one on hand to ensure even and accurate slices or you can slice by hand.
- In a small saucepan, combine your heavy whipping cream, 2 sprigs of thyme (leaves stripped from stem), butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and nutmeg. Simmer until the cream is heated. Remove from heat.
(For Individual Potato Stacks)
- Spray your muffin / cupcake tin with cooking spray or grease with butter
- Arrange small stacks of potatoes in each hole of the muffin tin
- Spoon a heaping spoonful of your cream sauce over the potato stack
- Top with Parmesan cheese to your liking
- Add thyme leaves to the top of your stack
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (or until the potatoes are completely cooked and soft)
- Let rest for 5 minutes
- Serve immediately
(For Casserole / Large Dish)
- Grease the bottom of your casserole dish with butter
- Arrange half your potato slices in thin layers in your casserole dish
- Add 1/2 a cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Spoon half your cream mixture over the potato slices
- Add remaining potato slices in a thin layer on top with remaining cream
- Top your dish with remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle thyme leaves across the top of your dish
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (or until the potatoes are completely cooked and soft)
- Let rest for 10 minutes