Setting goals can be limiting and too specific. For 2019, let’s work on setting intentions that will help you achieve your bigger goals.
Intention setting may be unfamiliar territory for you — that’s okay! It’s super easy and is a really important step when it comes to transforming your habits and refocusing. An intention is an aim or plan that you create. Setting an intention is basically creating a roadmap for yourself and marking important landmarks and points to focus on. You can be as vague or specific through your intention setting as you’d like. The whole purpose of setting intentions is to bring some focus and clarity to your mind so you can start thinking clearly about the things you want to work on and the things that are important in your life. Look at your intentions as stepping stones to your bigger goals. Having a clear, defined path is important because it gives your life meaning and direction. As fun as it is to flip heads or tails to decide whether you turn right or left at the stop sign, sometimes having a clear purpose is the better way to go.
Here are 15 intentions that we think are important to consider as you create this roadmap for yourself:
- I intend to put more time and energy into the relationships with those around me — I will embrace and nurture old, current, and potentially new relationships.
- I intend to nourish my body and mind by making time for self-care and embracing healthy lifestyle options.
- I intend to approach situations with openness and love rather than with a closed mind.
- I intend to stop taking things so personally and look at the bigger picture when something doesn’t go my way.
- I intend to restructure and evaluate what is important in my life by taking a few minutes each day to journal or meditate.
- I intend to be more flexible — I will take the time to spend a few extra minutes at coffee, linger at the market to chose the flowers I want, or spend 15 minutes in the bath at the end of the day.
- I intend to forgive others (and myself) for their hurtful actions and mistakes. We all have room for growth.
- I intend to prioritize ‘me’ time — This means making it to that yoga class when I want to go, not feeling guilty for staying in for the night, and making what I want for dinner for a change.
- I intend to challenge my mind and creativity by stepping outside of my comfort zone and making time to explore new territory.
- I intend to unplug and spend some time each day focusing on my environment and the people in it — that could mean no phones at the dinner table, taking a walk without checking instagram, or laying in bed with my significant other at the end of the day without checking my email.
- I intend to be open to success and be proud of myself when I accomplish milestones in my career. I will not be discouraged by things I am still learning.
- I intend to ask for help when I need it rather than being stubborn and trying to do it all myself. It’s okay to ask for a helping hand.
- I intend to connect with those around me and ask how their day is going and genuinely mean it. Take the time to connect on a deeper level and make people feel appreciated.
- I intend to make my home my sanctuary. I will declutter and focus on creating a safe and comfortable living space where I can decompress and feel at home.
- I intend to recognize that I have flaws and work to improve them. I will realize that I will always be imperfect, but can work to be the best version of myself.