These sweet and spicy short rib tacos are absolutely delicious. As the short ribs and veggies braise, they take on the sweet citrus flavor of oranges and brown sugar as well as a punchy heat from jalapeños and chilis in adobo.
Sweet + Spicy Beef Short Rib Tacos
The Beef Short Ribs
- 3 lbs beef short rib (6 pieces) prime if possible
- smoked salt to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- BBQ Rub: Smoked paprika, onion, garlic, cumin, red pepper, oregano to taste
- olive oil cooking spray
The Braising Liquid
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers thinly sliced (you may remove seeds if you would like less heat)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk leek chopped
- 2 navel oranges juiced
- 1 7oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce use all peppers and sauce
- 2 Mexican style / light beers
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked black pepepr to taste
- 1 cap liquid smoke
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- flour or corn tortillas
- homemade guacamole
- salsa / pico de gallo
- sour cream
- tomato slices
- Remove your short ribs from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature while you prep the BBQ.
- Turn your Traeger on to smoke with the lid open, let the Traeger smoke until the fire is lit and then set the temperature to high. Let your grill preheat. We used cherry and pecan for this cook.
- Lightly coat your short ribs with olive oil (the oil acts as a binder for your rub or seasoning); generously season your short ribs with smoked salt or kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a BBQ rub or smoked paprika.
- Turn the Traeger to 185 degrees and place your short ribs on the 2nd rack of the BBQ. Make sure each piece is half an inch away from the next so the smoke can circulate around each short rib.
- Smoke your short ribs for 2 hours.
- You can start your braising liquid at the beginning and allow it to simmer for two hours before adding the short ribs or you can prepare the braising liquid 30 minutes before the meat is ready to be added.
- Heat cast iron dutch oven to medium/ high heat. Add butter, shallot, garlic, onion, and jalapeño. Allow vegetables to become aromatic and let them begin to brown / become translucent.
- Once onions have become translucent, add oil, bell pepper, carrots, and leek. Let the vegetables soften. Once they have softened some, add the remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer until liquid has reduced by 1/3.
- Remove your short ribs from the smoker. Turn the BBQ (or oven) to 350. Add short ribs to braising liquid. Cover the dutch oven and return to BBQ or oven to continue cooking.
- Cook for another hour / hour and a half until the short ribs pull easily from the bone.
- Allow short ribs to sit in braising liquid for 15-20 minutes. Pull from the bone and shred meat. Serve immediately.